Registered under the National Arts Council of Zimbabwe

05 July 2015

WIN Newsletter, Issue No 91



EDITORIAL



Welcome to our 91st newsletter, hoping that we find you well. We would like to offer our condolence to our Board Chairperson Mrs. Josephine Muganiwa and family on the passing on of her son Emmanuel Tinotenda Muganiwa (August 26, 2005 – June 21, 2015).  May his soul rest in peace. To the Muganiwa family, may the peace that comes from the memories of love shared comfort you now and in the days ahead. We are with you always. 
Meanwhile, we encourage our members to be strong and patient as we continue to look for the way out of the jam. We remain committed to our mission. Many thanks for the support. Please enjoy.

A LOOK INTO CRIME SCENES IN SHONA NOVELS


With
 Supa Mafuta, WIN Epworth Branch


“Can stories involving the police and criminals be effectively written in Shona language like in English language?”
This was a question directed to renowned Zimbabwean author Aaron Chiundura Moyo by an aspiring writer sometime in 2013 at a meeting organized by Writers International Network Zimbabwe (WIN-Zim). The meeting took place at the National Art Gallery in Harare (See insert photo).
Chiundura Moyo’s response was ‘yes, it is possible to write crime stories in Shona languages’ and he justified his answer with examples/reasons. His response opened the mind of Shona budding writers.
I have also found Chiundura Moyo’s response as very true as I have come across crime scenes in various Shona novels which I have read. I have in mind novels like Chinamanenji Hachifambisi, Kusasana Kunoparira, both written by celebrated novelist and poet Modekai. A. Hamutyinei and also a later novel titled Rovambira by Charles Muzemba.
These novels are not silent on the crime and police investigations into the crime committed.
In Chinamanenji Hachifambisi the reader is introduced to a gang of thugs under the leadership of Mambara D. So fascinating are the tricks employed by a detective named Huni Dzanaiwa in exposing the notorious gang and bringing them to book.
In Kusasana Kunoparira, character named Yuna is strangled to death. How her murderer is eventually caught and convicted is dramatic. Charles Muzemba has his contribution to stories with theme of crime. His novel Rovambira is a good example. The expert author, who is also co-author of the unforgettable Akanga Nyimo Avangarara, shows us the dangers threatening the lives of police officers as there is a great deal of gun shots in his novel.
Editor's Note: Are you interested in reading more Shona novels involving crime? If so, make an effort to find and read the following books: Kudzikotsira, Dandemutande, Kukurukura Hunge Wapotswa, Sajeni Chimedza and Ndiko Kusasana. Apart from the few mentioned there are many others!



ZIMBABWE INTERNATIONAL BOOK FAIR 2015



THEME: “GROWING THE KNOWLEDGE ECONOMY THROUGH RESEARCH, WRITING, PUBLISHING AND READING”

DATE: JULY 27 – AUGUST 1

VENUE:  CROWN PLAZA MONOMOTAPA & HARARE GARDENS

SEE YOU THERE! FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT: events@zibfa.org.zw


THE YOUTH PERSPECTIVE


With

Mimi Machakaire

The inspiration behind my novel Princess Gangster


Growing up I’d always loved to read. Despite all the travel I did to places such as England, Namibia and Botswana I somehow managed to find comfort in my books. By the time I was 15 I had finished the Harry Potter series by JK Rowling, which (I’ve said on countless occasions) initially was the story that encouraged me to start writing. I started small and wrote my first short story entitled Dream World. Sadly, that story is yet to be published but as the years went by my skills as a writer started to develop.  The more I practiced the better I became.
The advantage of traveling as a youth is that you get to gain a lot of different experiences such as getting to know specific types of characters especially as you find yourself learning in various schools. I was always the quiet one and whilst I later adjusted to my surroundings, I still managed to find a way to get my stories. People don’t always suspect the quiet ones and I knew how to use that to my advantage. For instance, if on a particularly good day I finished my work early, I’d pick my book and read, making them (classmates) believe that I wasn’t paying attention to their “secret” conversations. Then once I got all the information I needed I would go home and write. At times I even carried a blank exercise book with me and write during break so that I wouldn’t lose the concepts of my ‘secret discoveries’.   That’s what helped me progress to the level that I found the inspiration to start writing Princess Gangster which was then published by BookLove Publishers in Gweru last year.  
Despite their young ages I realized that most of the kids I went to school with had very interesting stories to tell. Some came from families who appeared not to care about them. This was, of course, sad but still it inspired something in my novel. Others grew up to quickly and found themselves searching for love in all the wrong places. I used that as part of my story as well.
It was hard to believe that these kids where still kids but at times I even found it hard to listen and added some of my own experiences to the story on some of the lighter scenes.  Later, my novel grew and although it took me nearly two years to finish (as I still had to focus on my school work) it was well worth the wait. 


CATHERINE MAGODO'S 'SILENT CRIES' NOW AVAILABLE


To read book review Click Here
 

NEW WRITER OFFERS ADVICE FOR GIRLS


(Article first appeared in The Herald)

 C.J Mylton, author of 'Pride of a Girl Child

It is refreshing to note that the new crop of Zimbabwean writers is not sticking to fiction only but diversifying genres in which to express their views on society.
A new writer writing under the pseudonym CJ Mylton (real name Milton Chitsime) has published a booklet titled ‘Pride of a Girl Child’ (2015, Forteworx Press) which appeals to teenage girls to value their bodies. What makes this small book relevant and empowering is its simple language and profound deliberations on forces that put the girl child at risk of sexual violation. 

To read full article, Click Here


POETRY



Pamuviri PaShamiso
Na Memory Chirere
(Taken from his book ‘Bhuku Risina Basa Nokuti Rakanyorwa Masikati’, re-published here with poet's consent)


Zvinonzi Shamiso ane pamuviri pangu
Nekuti tinonzwikwa tichiseka zvedu tese
kuchipisa, kuchitonhora kana kuchivhuvhuta
zvekuti vanhu vanosiya poto dzichitsva pamoto
kana kusiya nhau dzichiverengwa pawairesi
kana kusiya pombi dzichirasa zvadzo mvura
vachingotarisa ini naShami tichiseka zvedu.
Zvanzi tinoonekwa tiri tese kwese-kwese zvako
paMugovera, paChishanu, paChitatu kana paChina
vanhu vachitondera vachirasika zvakarewo
kuti kave kechingani vachiona ini naShamiso
kuye-kuye-e, zuva riye-riye-e, nepaye-paye-e!
Saka zvinonzi pamuviri paShami pacho ndepangu chete
nekuti Shamiso kana aneni zviya anoshamisa
zvekuti haaite kunge kune imwe nguva nenzvimbo
iri nani muupenyu hwose hwatinoziva kunze kwepandiri.
Kwanzi kana aneni anoseka chikwe-e chaicho chamunoziva
iyo mitezo yake yakaita rurasademo chairwo,
kunge pasi pano pasina minzwa, mafeso kana chaguduma.
Zvinonzi kana aneni, Shami anoita seane hama yake chaiyo
asi vozoona kuti hama nehama chaidzo-idzo dzatinoziva
hadzingakwizane mapendekete dzichiswera dzose saizvozvi!
Zvinonzi ndepangu chete pamuviri paShami, hakuna mumwe
nekuti handivhundutswe nenzeve dzake dzave kunjenjemera
kana kusvipa-svipa kwaave kungoita nekusarudza twokudya.
Zvinonzi ini pano ndiri husiku chaihwo hwezhizha nekuti
handione kuti dumbu raShami riri kungokura zuva nezuva.
Vanotaura vanoti pamuviri paShamiso ndepangu
nekuti murume nemukadzi havagone kungoshamwaridzana
zvikaperera chete muhurukuro nekuseka nekunzwanana.
Zvanzi chiripo chete chandinoda kubva kunaShamiso
chandinowana nyore-nyore nekuti dzangu dzakatenderera
zvakare dzaShamiwo dzinenge zinyekenyeke sedzangu.
Zvanzi vane nharo ngavamirire chete pachapona Shami
vagoona kuti ini naShami hataingoita zvekuseka chete.
Asika, ini naShamiso tinozviziva zvese izvozvo,
ndosaka tichigaroseka zvedu kunge kusina denga nepasi
tichitofara zvedu sekusina mangwana kana gore rinouya.

Chirere once shared this poem on his Facebook page before 'Bhuku Risina Basa' was published. The poem is about whether or not there can be ordinary friendship between a man and a woman.

*** 
Thank you for reading.















1 comment:

  1. Thank you. Powerful poems from Nyeredzi Sibanda and Memory Chirere

    ReplyDelete